Saint Luke’s Presbyterian Church is GREEN
We take caring for God’s creation seriously at Saint Luke’s. Through our Green Team ministry, we actively engage in educating and offering opportunities for our community to be good stewards of all that God has entrusted to us.
We regularly offer educational events featuring noted speakers and host recycling events in our community. And we practice what we preach on our church campus by undergoing energy audits, providing recycling containers throughout our facilities, and encouraging our members to do their part at home.
GREEN Team Tip of the Week:
This is why you bring your cans to church!
In a lifetime the average American will throw away 600 times the amount of his or her adult weight in garbage. For example, a 150 pound adult will leave a trash legacy of 90,000 pounds.
Recycling Makes Sense
Recycling is an important component of protecting the environment and helping our local communities. Recycling helps conserve resources and energy, preserves valuable landfill space and supports a healthy environment.
Recycling one ton of aluminum:
- Saves 14,000 kWh of energy
- Saves 39.6 barrels (1,663 gallons) of oil
- Saves 237.6 million Btu’s of energy
- Saves 10 cubic yards of landfill spaceAluminum Recycling Tips
- Prepare aluminum cans for recycling by either crushing the cans to save space or leaving them uncrushed.
- Cans that are rinsed out will have little or no odor and are less likely to attract bugs.